desk job

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mandate, My Ass


So the final installment of the Argentinian vinyl trio will have to wait until either later today or tomorrow. In the meantime here are a couple of digital digs:

First up, I've had an old burned CD copy of Gil Scott Heron's Reflections in my car for about a week or so, which remember making originally after I had discovered down the song Gun in Nate Jones' part in the Real Skateboards video Real 2 Reel:



The entire soundtrack to that video is great, and I know the audio is terrible in the clip so here's the mp3 I've been driving around with:



Gil Scott Heron - Gun

Skate videos were some of my first sources of exposure to music that wasn't on the radio or TV, and the songs on the screen only lead to artists and albums and discographies etc etc, so in that spirit I'm posting the second track from that album, Grandma's Hands as well. I feel like this has to be cut into one of DOOM's beats (tangent to tangent, DOOM fans take a look at this siik.org post). Anyway, make's a good belated mother's day gift to ma and/or grandma.



Gil Scott Heron - Grandma's Hands



Second, check out the 1975 Dadawah (a.k.a. Ras Michael) release Peace and Love. I don't consider myself any kind of reggae connoissuer, rastafista etc., but this has a drone sort of vibe to it, like Earth or Lichens taking a vacation in the Caribbean. A little over halfway through Zion Land this ghost piano takes over and will haunt your lazy afternoons for all eternity.



Dadawah - Zion Land

No comments:

Post a Comment