desk job

Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Mom Can Make A Better Mixtape Than Me or Digitalism


So I've been sitting on this since around last holiday season when I was back in Phoenix, but digging through some old boxes I found the cassette you see above, labeled 'Physical Excursion'. No track list, no artists, nothing. On the drive back to L.A. I popped it in the tape deck, and barely through the first listen I stopped it to call and ask for details. She said it was just a work out tape from about 20 years ago and she couldn't remember, and why was I calling about a cassette tape.

This morning I crawled out from under my rock and gave Digitalism's 2008 mix, Kitsune Tabloid, a listen only to find the seventh track, The Human League's 'The Things That Dreams Are Made Of (Original Dub)' bore a striking resemblance to the .mp3 that had been sitting on my hard drive innocuously labeled dance_tape_2.mp3 Here's that rip:



The Human League - The Things That Dreams Are Made Of (Physical Excursion Instrumental)

Also in case anyone else is interested the tape included an instrumental of 'Don't You Want Me Baby'. I at least knew that one:



The Human League - Don't You Want Me Baby (Physical Excursion Instrumental)

By far however, my favorite track from the tape, the one that the most people have asked about, and the one that really got me on the phone on the way back to Phoenix is still a mystery to me. Any help in identifying this would be greatly appreciated. Give it a listen:



??? (Physical Excursion Instrumental)

So, in review my mom (circa 20 years ago):


Gives today's top electroclash producers:


a run for their money.

1 comment:

  1. Yo Nate Dog,

    the unknown gem: "It's Only Me" by Bob James

    Scout

    Ps. I'm diggin the blog

    ReplyDelete