desk job

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sweatin The Smalls Stuff





The System - It's Passion (1983)

Apologies for the little moving sabbatical I took over the last couple of weeks but the vinyl is settling in on a new cinder block / plywood shelf set hand crafted / bought at Home Depot on Wilshire by yours truly so I thought I'd share a track or two to get things moving again.

I've been sitting on this System record for a few months now, but checking around there seems to be a small but devoted following that waited more than two decades for last year's remastered reissue to arrive. I don't blame them. In fact I feel sort of bad having lumped this in with the rest of my dollar bin purchases for so long. Anyway I'm sharing it now and if anybody wants the rest of it ripped from my vinyl copy let me know.

While Mic Murphy supplied the vocals for The System, David Frank worked the production deck (not sure actually which is the scary Christopher Walken doppleganger), and before the former veered off into a solo career in the 1990's and the latter wrote 'Genie in a Bottle' for Cristina Aguilera, the two kept busy making contributions to other outside projects throughout the 80's, including the following track:



Mtume - Juicy Fruit (1983)

If the percussion, vocals, instrumentation etc. aren't ringing all kinds of bells for anybody who attended a middle or high school dance in the second half of the 1990's remember this one?



The Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy (1994)

So all roads lead to Biggie. They just get their faster if you happen to have been a hot shot production team in the early 80's.

1 comment: