desk job

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Looking CA, Feeling MN


So I spent the 4th up in Minneapolis with some of the ol' extended fam which, aside from a lot of getting away with calling soda 'pop' and sunshine until 10:30 P.M., meant record hunting with my uncle (whose film reviews you can check here, fyi). Today's tracks come at you straight from Hymie's Vintage Records:


There you see the listening station where I first encountered the following:



C.J. & Co. - The Devil's Gun (1977)

This one, the title track of the album from which it is culled, shot to #1 on the charts, got the Tom Moulton (if anybody has this I'd be very intersted) treatment, and was quickly followed on the single train by:



C.J. & Co. - We've Got Our Own Thing (1977)


A follow up album couldn't quite deliver the same goods and the group disbanded before a third album made it out, but check these two tracks for some epic vocal disco.

Behind door number 2 I present to you The Atlanta Disco Band's 'Bad Luck', which can be found on their 1975 Ariola America Records Inc. release Bad Luck. Strings and guitar bends. Elegance to spare, friends.



The Atlanta Disco Band - Buckhead (1975)


I should warn you that this one ends a little prematurely. I was as shocked and angry, and then I found this extended edit. Thanks to the fine contributors at Dollar Bin Jams.

Anyway look forward to more northern lights to come, and hit up Hymie's if you find yourself on Lake St. in the Twin Cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment