desk job

Monday, July 27, 2009

Looking CA, Feeling MN #2


Coming back at you with more wax from the land of 10,000 lakes, today's specimens came from the Cheapo records in uptown Minneapolis. The door you see above was actually locked - I had to go around the front, as demonstrated in this handy tour video.

As the name suggests you will indeed encounter many a cheapo down at the Cheapo. The tracks I offer you today would have cost more to send through the mail than to purchase, and for the mere pennies you're spending on the electricity running through whatever it is you use to get around the internet you can have them for your very own as well. First off, a couple of tracks from Ronnie Laws' 1976 Blue Note Recording Fever:



Ronnie Laws - Let's Keep It Together (1976)



Ronnie Laws - All The Time (1976)

The second track is the kind of thing I'd use for the intro to my own sitcom, some kind of Mr. Rogers outfit change kind of thing. Or better yet one starring Mr. Rogers and Koko:


Maybe they could be working together at a record store. Maybe at a Cheapo. Maybe if Ronnie Laws' sax wasn't smooth enough for the theme they'd take this number from the Sylvers' Forever Yours:



The Sylvers - Come On Down To My House (1978)

I think 'Fever', 'Let's Keep It Together', 'Forever Yours' and 'Come On Down To My House' would all make fine captions for that picture but as always until next time, I invite you to choose your own adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment