desk job

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Raising AZ




Marty Mitchell Band - Damned If You Do (1981)



Tempest - Modern Love (1981)

Browsing ye olde Pasadena City College Flea Market a couple weeks back I was more than a little surprised to come across a compilation titled Arizona Sounds Volume 5, released in the early 80's by a radio station under the call letters KDKB. I know those don't mean anything to anybody who grew up outside of the Sonoran Desert, but as a native Arizonan I know that KDKB rocks Arizona and swiped it up. All we ever get credit for is the Gin Blossoms so I wanted to see what the local talent was doing thirty years ago.

Turns out that it was a lot of bar rock and country, but as the first track demonstrates some of it could be catchy as a cholla cactus. I'm not sure what to make of the second track other than guess by then a couple copies of Autobahn had made their way out to Phoenix.

Anyway Suns are in the playoffs, which always reminds me of this. Beat the Blazers.

Not sure if this record is out of print or what, but if anybody can find a place online to buy it that'd be swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment