desk job

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dark Matter


A couple of years back, a little compilation called 'Disco Not Disco' found its way not only into the mailbox of a certain campus radio station, but onto my iPod, under my skin (in a good way) and all up in my sets (it was actually the third volume in the series under that name). It's one of those can't miss kind of compilations, the kind stock full of tracks that people will always come up and ask about.

Cutting to the chase, a week or so in Montreal I came across a copy of Material's 1982 album One Down, whose last track 'Don't Lose Control' happens to be one of the (not) disco jams I still haven't gotten tired of. The album itself, like countless others from around that 77 - 82 ish era is tough to pigeon hole as this or that, or not this or not that. I will say most of the songs are funkier than average, and a lot of them usually throw some sort of crazy curveball sound at you sooner or later. One of them even features an up and coming Whitney Houston. But don't take my word for it:



Material - I'm The One (1982) (buy)



Material - Don't Lose Control (1982)
(buy)



Material - Memories (1982) (buy)

If that wasn't enough Material for you, and if you especially liked 'I'm The One', there's a little more to be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment